Staff R&D/Product Development Engineer
JOB TITLE: Staff R&D/Product Development Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Energy Engineering and New Product Development; Division of TE Canada
REPORTING TO: Barry Johnson
TE Connectivity’s R&D/Product Development Engineering Teams conceive original ideas for new products and introduce them into practice. They are responsible for product development, and qualification from market definition through production and release; assist in the qualification of suppliers for new products to ensure suppliers deliver quality parts, materials, and services for new or improved manufacturing processes; conduct feasibility studies, testing on new and modified designs; direct and support detailed design, testing, prototype fabrication and manufacturing ramp. The R&D/Product Development Engineering Teams provide all required product documentation including, but not limited to, Solid Model, 2D/3D production drawings, product specifications, and testing requirements. They create and modify detailed drawings and drafting or conceptual models from layouts, rough sketches or notes and contribute to design modifications to facilitate manufacturing operation or quality of product. Typical fields of expertise include: materials, mechanics and systems, electrical, optics, chemistry, software, automation systems, packaging, testing and measurement, and manufacturing of electrical, mechanical and electronic components, products, and their integration into systems.
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to the following:
- Takes lead in technical domain of strategic C&F development projects from first ideas/concepts to final, commercialized products.
- Manages technical elements while maintaining performance and schedule.
- Mainly acts as Engineering Core Team member
- Knowledge of relevant NAM ANSI and IEEE standards – able to identify appropriate standards to be used to qualify connectors
- Use of Voice of Customer tools to capture user needs and ensure these are translated into quality requirements for parts
- Verification of suitability of designs for service through testing for conformance to industry standards
- Trainer level competency in technical tools specific to the job function: e.g. CAD, CAE, industrial or quality engineering tools.
- Trainer level knowledge of general engineering tools (LEAN or 6-sigma) such as DoE, FMEA, QFD, etc.
- Deep technical knowledge of the product domain and overhead /underground/substation power industry the engineer is working in.
- Understanding of competitive products and IP positions.
- Has influence in present role in current Department.
- Contributes to Department level technology and product decisions.
- Contributes to technical function initiatives.
- Trains and supports more junior engineers in the Department.
- Recognized as senior contributor by external peers.
- May contribute to a standards body and external publications.
- Known to customers and suppliers
- Completion of four-year University program in Electrical or Mechanical engineering (BASc)
- Five to ten years successful employment record in innovation and design in electrical industry
- Previous managerial/supervision experience is a plus.
- Proven strong technical / engineering skills.
- Customer focused, through all levels of management.
- Solutions oriented and creative.
- Self-motivated and disciplined.
- Strong organization and planning skills.
Creativity: Comes up with a lot of new and unique ideas, easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions, and trends to be seen as original and value-added in brainstorming settings.
Customer Focus: Is dedicated to exceeding the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
Integrity and Trust: Is widely trusted, is seen as a direct, truthful individual, can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner, keeps confidences, admits mistakes, and doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and the time of others on what's important; quickly zeroes in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside, can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal, eliminates roadblocks, creates focus.
Problem Solving: Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions, probes all fruitful sources for answers, can see hidden problems, is excellent at honest analysis, looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers.
Functional / Technical Skills: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Tyco Electronics is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women.
If you require accommodation during the interview process, please advise us and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Tyco Electronics Canada Ltd.
(905) 475-6222 tel | (905) 470-5271 fax
20 Esna Park Drive, Markham, Ontario L3R 1E1